All-the-Greens Risotto by Nutritionist Pixie Turner
Nutrition Info (Per Serving)
1½ tbsp olive oil plus extra for drizzling
80g leek, diced
1 vegetable stock cube with 500ml boiling water (plus extra water if needed)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
200g risotto rice
1 courgette, coarsely grated
150g cavolo nero, leaves left whole or finely sliced
50g grated vegetarian hard cheese (optional)
50g unsalted butter (optional)
1. Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a wide pan over a medium heat.
2. Gently cook the leek for around 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. In the meantime, make the stock.
4. Add the garlic and risotto rice to the pan and heat through, stirring continuously for 1 minute.
5. Add half the stock, stir thoroughly. Set a timer for 15 minutes for cooking the rice (or for the recommended pack cooking time minus 2 minutes).
6. Cook the courgette separately in the remaining olive oil to remove any excess moisture, then add to the risotto pan when the timer says 10 minutes to go.
7. Stir the rice continuously to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pan (turn down the heat if needed).
8. Anytime the rice gets too dry, add a little more stock, not too much at a time. If it bubbles too much turn down the heat a little.
9. Add the cavolo nero when the timer says 5 minutes to go.
10. When the 15 minutes are up, taste test the risotto. It should be al dente, not completely soft. If it’s ready, turn off the heat, stir in most of the cheese and the butter, stirring in gently until deliciously creamy.
11. Serve immediately, adding a sprinkling of cheese and a final drizzle of olive oil (trust me on this one, don’t skip it) onto each individual plate.