Cavolo Nero Kedgeree by Recipes from a Pantry
Nutrition Info (Per Serving)
For the haddock
- 300ml milk
- 300g undyed smoked haddock fillet, with the skin on
For the rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 300g long grain rice, rinsed and drained dry
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt to taste
- 550 ml water
- 75g cavolo nero, stalked removed and finely sliced (note the 75g is before the stalks are removed)
Rest of the ingredients
- 4 eggs
- Handful pomegranate seeds for garnish
1. Place haddock, skin side down in a saucepan, pour on the milk and then poach over low heat for 5-8 minutes or until the fish cooks through. Remove fish to a plate, discard the skin and flake the flesh into small bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
2. In the meantime, place eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Then reduce heat and let simmer for about 4 and half minutes. Drain eggs and add into cold water. Remove eggs, peel and quarter them. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a casserole dish over medium heat and add rice, curry powder, ground coriander and salt, mixing until fragrant and combined for about 1 minute.
4. Stir in the water, cover and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat to low, simmer and cook for 12 minutes.
5. At the 10 minutes mark, quickly open the dish, add sliced cavolo nero on top (without mixing) and cover again.
6. When the 12 minutes are up, switch off the heat, without opening the dish and let stand for another 8 minutes during which both the rice and cavolo nero will continue steaming.
7. When done, open the rice, fluff it and stir in haddock, eggs and pomegranate seeds before serving.